The Fleurieu Community Foundation is currently in its infancy and is working hard to raise funds and resources to build a substantial public fund to benefit the Fleurieu community, with the intention of making grants for the long-term benefit of the community and its members.
The Foundation will achieve its mission and objectives through its grant-making program and is committed to the development of effective, community based philanthropy in the Fleurieu.
The Foundation supports projects of public benefit to Fleurieu communities that:
- Address problems at a local level and involve the people closest to the problem
- Enable people to take responsibility for the well-being of their community
- Ensure as many people as possible benefit from the project funded
- Provide funding for worthwhile projects not funded or under funded by local, state or federal government programs
The Australian Tax Office (ATO) endorses the Fleurieu Community Foundation as a Tax Concession Charity (TCC) therefore projects which receive funding need to be charitable and have one or more of the following characteristics:
- Assist those who lack the resources to obtain what is necessary for a modest standard of living in the Australian community
- Advance of education
- Have other purposes beneficial to the community such as
o Public works and community facilities;
o Promotion of industry,
o Commerce and agriculture;
o Defence and public order;
o Improvement and protection of the environment;
o Moral improvement
- Have a public benefit rather than a private benefit
- Relieve poverty, sickness or distress.